Tuesday, January 29, 2013

We've Done It!!!

So it took months but I was finally able to get the Rabbi's wife to move on this. The way it happened was my girlfriend, who is friends with the Rebbetzin calls me up and says that the Rebbetzin wants me to take her kids and play "the game" with them. So with no time to prepare I said sure and a few hours later there I was with three of her boys sitting down at the table and creating characters.

It went very well. Since I hadn't been expecting this I had nothing prepared and hadn't even read up on the rules so I explained to them that I would be "winging" it so that they would understand why future sessions had different rules. We mostly just rolled d20's to figure stuff out and I would make up modifiers as seemed appropriate to the situation.

These kids really enjoyed the character building process which I think is great. One of them decided his monk didn't speak and this in and of itself was both hilarious and great from a role playing and story point of view.

The story that we used was Cain and Able as I knew it well enough to create a back drop for a few simple encounters. The time flew by and it was two hours later with the boys begging to keep going or at least play again tomorrow.

Now I need to actually get some things together and re learn the rules. I know I can get by even as we did in this session by winging it but I would like to use the rules and only deviate where I feel it is necessary.

Please feel free to post suggestions and questions I will flesh out how the session went in my next post some time this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment